Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rearrange

My sister Marybeth and I shared a room a majority of the time while growing up.  I knew at an early age Marybeth would be an engineer-she created a floor plan (to scale) of our room and all the furniture we had.  The reason she did this?  We had a habit of rearranging our room on a monthly basis.  We didn't have a large room, but we did have bunk beds which left the possibilities of the layouts endless.  I don't think my parents really cared that we did it because we had a tendency of "surprising" them (not asking for their help) and it meant that our room was cleaned pretty frequently.  You're probably wondering where I'm going with this...

It's been a little over a year that I moved in with Robert.  In that time, we've rearranged 1 time and I'm getting antsy.  I wish I would have taken before and after pictures, but I didn't.  So the next best thing is me doing a floor plan of our main room (NOT drawn to scale).    
Robert's original TV stand was actually a coffee table from IKEA.  It was probably 6ft long, white, low to the ground and on 4in wheels.  Shortly before the wedding we noticed it was starting to bow in the middle due to all of the entertainment items on the thing!  (I swear I didn't sabotage it).  We decided to use some of our wedding money to get something new.  We found this great piece from IKEA; dark wood, lots of storage space, and the option to add cabinet doors if we so choose. 
Because of the height of this piece, we decided to rearrange the floor plan (yes!!).  We have a 6ft window with a great view of midtown, and the new shelves with the tv on top were blocking a majority of the window.  So, we decided to float the sofa in the middle of the room.  I must tell say I'm a big fan of doing this.  It's amazing how much more livable space the new arrangement added to the room.  

We also needed something to store all of our liquor and some stemware (limited counter space also means limited cabinets...really just limited space in general in the kitchen).  So we headed to a few junk stores.  Robert was thinking something short, probably small.  I was thinking a china cabinet-which he thought I was crazy because it would never fit.  We found this beauty, for a great deal.  The best part is that the original paperwork was still in one of the drawers and the price tag.  Let's just say the original purchaser paid $1,000 more than we paid.
We did all of this in April.  I'm still very pleased with it and I don't want to rearrange the main room just yet (other than minor adjustments I did last weekend).  However, the bedroom and bathroom, that is another story.

I've recently been introduced to this blog.  We're a tad limited on space right now, but when we have a house this couple is my inspiration.  They feature one project that I've been considering for awhile, raising your shower curtain.  It's a small adjustment to make to the bathroom, but it really helps to give the small space a new look.  Now I just have to find a shower curtain, and then convenience the hubby that we need to paint the bathroom.

1 comment:

  1. Doc, finally! I'm loving the update especially since i still haven't been over to see it! YAY!

    ReplyDelete