I decided that I'm going to run another half marathon! (Ok, I really decided at the end of August, just haven't shared it.) The Atlanta Track Club has a 1/2 marathon on Thanksgiving morning. Since Robert and I will be in Atlanta this year for Thanksgiving, and the Iron Bowl isn't until Saturday, I thought this would be the perfect race to run in. I'm already in week 6 of training, with 6 more weeks to go!
Up until about February of this year I never kept track of my times. I knew in general how long it was taking me to run, but that was going off the time I walked out the door and the time I walked back in-meaning it didn't take into consideration the 5-10 minutes I would spend stretching and getting downstairs. It didn't really bother me too much because I also wasn't running for time, I was just running because I like how I feel after running and getting some sort of physical activity in 5 days a week. But lately I've been wanting to know my time, and try to improve.
After my first half I joined Daily Mile. I really like this website because I have a log of all my runs, times, and paces since March. It gives you a report of your week's progress and lets you know how many miles you've run (I've logged 411.23 miles since March 21). I've always known that in the summer more time was added on to my mile- Jeff Galloway says 20% increase when the temperature is above 80. But I wanted to know how much (to put it in perspective, in March/April I had between a 8:50-9:20 pace...in late May-August I had between a 9:45-10:30 pace). So, if you are a runner-just starting out or at it for awhile- I highly recommend this site! (and add me)
I'll keep you posted on my progress and any goal times I set for myself. I would love to set another PR with this half-I ran my first half in 2:09:09. But I want to evaluate it all when the time gets closer, though I am eyeing a 2:05 time- that's a pace of 9:34...
You ran such a fast first half! That's amazing. I don't think I will run my first one anywhere close to that time.
ReplyDeleteI'm keeping my fingers crossed you set a new PR!